![]() |
| 1940s 'Ceylon Tea' tennis set |
Alfred Meakin is something of an enigma. Facts are scanty and disputed and I can’t find a book about the firm anywhere! Please feel free to correct me and point me to an authoritative source.
Brother to Joseph and George (who traded prolificly as J&G Meakin), Alfred Meakin set out on his own in 1845 for unexplained reasons, building a successful business making ordinary domestic ware and traditional tableware for the masses at home, and developing a healthy export market from a base at Tunstall, Staffordshire.
![]() |
| 1950s 'Brixham' tureen |
Brixham, Polperro and St Ives from the charming seaside range depicted townscapes, fishing and sailing scenes, particularly from the Cornish coast. Very much in the same vein, and probably following the Midwinter patterns above, Red Sails is a simple design, with two small racing yachts and some very nice seagulls, quite like Palissy's Regatta (I have a lovely serving bowl and platter as well as several bowls and side plates).
![]() |
| 'Poodles' saucer with '50s cup |
I recently acquired a teapot, to match the pair of teacups and saucers in the exuberant 1970s Sunflowers pattern. I also have a welter of dinner, salad and side plates in both Flight (flying ducks) and Shangri La (Oriental landscape with flying crane). In the latter design I also have a lovely, pale blue tureen. I use its twin all the time at home for soups and veg dishes – it makes even the simplest dish seem special.
![]() |
| Alfred Meakin 1970s 'Sunflowers' teapot, cups & saucers |
Very much in the same spirit as Sunflowers, and with cute, pink highlights, Meakin and the same (unnamed) designer also produced a French-themed series, including Montmartre, Boulevard and Down by the Seine. Two of the most collected patterns in this style are less exotic but no less exuberant: Carousel and Jivers.
Myott-Meakin revived the use of the Alfred Meakin backstamp for bone china in 1985 but this range (some of which was manufactured in China) was discontinued late 1989/early 1990 to concentrate on earthenware production. The majority of Myott-Meakin production was exported.
That's about all I have on Alfred Meakin. Any additional info is most welcome!




Comments
Post a Comment